As women of a certain age, we were always taught to not be selfish. We were told “don’t be selfish” when it came to our toys, but now I am telling you that it is okay to be selfish. Women of a certain age have earned the right to want and do something just for themselves–we’re not going to hurt anyone.
Some things that you can do that will make only you happy or at least the happiest in your family.
- Cook a meal that only you like–sit down and enjoy it. How many times have you eaten what everyone else likes? I can almost guarantee that someone will eat with you.
- Hire someone to help with the housework–schedule the way it fits your budget and needs.
- Get regular manicures and pedicures–again your schedule, your finances.
- Take your time when placing your order at a restaurant–ask questions if you so desire. You want what you want.
- Say no to babysitting the grandkids every time they ask–you love them, but you have a life.
- Watch a movie that you like while sitting in the comfy chair.
- When they ask you to watch the television in the back so they can all watch something on the bigger tv tell them no and keep watching.
- Go shopping and only buy for yourself.
- While shopping don’t call and tell them about a sale because you know you will buy the item(s) and never get paid for it.
- Sleep late or take a nap for no reason except you can.
- Take a vacation day from work and don’t tell anyone–do what you want to do on that day.
- Play the music in your car and in theirs that you like–they do this all the time.
- Hide your good candy. They don’t know the difference between Belgian Chocolate and milk chocolate.
These seem like simple things, but we as women of a certain age were taught to put others before us, and stop being selfish. If taking care of yourself is being selfish, then I am all for it.
Remember “thisisyourbestyear”. You’re not being selfish by making yourself happy. Take into consideration that they would want you to be happy.
Share with us any other ways that we can be “selfish” and not hurt anyone. We are looking forward to reading them.