7 Steps To Start Your Work Day
When it comes to starting my work day, I am a creature of habit. Some of the habits were added as I matured, but a few have always been set in place. I’m not talking about brushing my teeth, washing my face–things that everyone should do. I’m talking about things that help my day go better.
I’m not saying this is how you should start your work day, but give it a try–it may help. I always start the day off in silence. A minister told me once that you can’t hear God with all the noise–television, radio, etc. Here’s how I start my day.
- Prayer–I always start (and end) my day thanking God for waking me up. Sometimes all I can say is “thank you, thank you”, and ask blessings on my family and friends and a few others. The prayer can be long, short or in between, but it is always a prayer of thanksgiving. Even when I don’t feel well–I still pray.
- While my coffee makes, I do stretching exercises. Don’t laugh, they really help. You can hear your bones popping, and feel the stretching. Watch a cat get up from a nap, she never just gets up and moves, she stretches–slowly and then she is off. Take about 5 minutes, sit on the floor, lay on the floor however, you want to do them. You can find some easy ones online or just make up some. The point is stretch.
- While drinking my coffee, I read my devotional. One of my favorites is by President Jimmy Carter. It gives you scripture, but it also gives you daily examples that pertain to the scripture. I like this devotional because you don’t have to do it in any particular order. You can find a great many online.
- I finish my coffee with a little something for breakfast. In all honesty I try to eat a little something healthy–oatmeal, toast (avocado toast is amazing), fruit and nuts or just toast and jelly. Yep real butter and jelly.
- I finally turn the television on. I turn to the local news. It seems that the local news has more good news than the national news–local sports, girl scouts, paying it forward, etc. (I watch the same local news each day, we’re on a first name basis). I have to see about the weather forecast and the traffic report. While looking at the news, I look through the local paper.
- After the local news, I look at about the first 10 minutes of the national news to make sure we as a nation are still okay. That’s about all I can take.
- When I have had enough national news, I find something funny to watch while I get dress for work. It is usually an old comedy rerun. They make me laugh, smile and warm my heart. Laughter will allow you to keep calm when you are cut off in traffic–seriously it works.
It may seem that this is a lot, but I have it down to a science. If I miss a step, it seems that my work day is off. Each of the steps has a purpose, and flows directly into the next step.
Remember “thisisyourbestyear”. Start your work day off to a good start–it takes planning.